Saturday, June 6, 2009

Pride's Promise - Work in Progress

While Bill and I were in Africa I took several pictures of these lions. I have so many reference photos from the trip it's hard to decide which one to work on. I decided on these two for now. This piece is done on UArt 800 (sanded surface paper) and of course, it's done with colored pencils (my favorite medium). Here is the photo I took:


I have the background in and I'm starting to create the Momma lion. When I draw I first draw in the contour drawing. From there I start creating my subject. I tend to finish each little section as I go. Colored Pencil is a very slow medium, I tend to not to get bored with the piece when I work in this fashion.



You can see now how the momma lion is coming along. With the following picture you can see the contour drawing a bit better than in the last photo of the piece.


Now I'm starting to work on the baby. I think this is coming along fairly well. I will probably go back and touch up a few things but so far most of what I have done will stay as you see it here.

7 comments:

  1. Yay! Gemma you just couldn't take it anymore, could you? lol.. WELCOME to the world of blogging lol. Well if your gunna tweet you might as well blog too.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks super! Can't wait to see what "lovelies" you post here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to the world of blogging! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is going to be fun. I look forward to figuring this out a bit more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice looking drawing and blog! Look forward to seeing more!

    ReplyDelete