Saturday, September 18, 2010

Mountain Lion / Reflections Series WIP 04 Completed


Hello All,

Well.... I finally finished this piece. I'm going to title it "Wild Reflections".

I continued to use the same technique and color pallet as mentioned before. 80% of this piece is done in colored pencil and the rest of it is done with pastel. I don't normally use pastel but thought it would be fun to give it try. Most of the pastel is used in the water area. The mountain lion is 100% colored pencil. After I sprayed it with workable fixative I went back with colored pencil and redefined some of the reflections in the water. I really enjoyed working on this piece. I plan on entering it in the CPSA "Explore This!" Exhibition, lets hope it gets accepted.

I am now working on another piece of an adorable Raccoon. Keep checking back, I should be posting the work in progress on the raccoon soon.

If you have any questions or comments let me know. Don't forget to keep scribbling!
Gemma

7 comments:

  1. This is stunning and I have everything crossed for acceptance into the CPSA exhibition :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gemma, I really like this! Of course I like anything that has to do with water!
    I like the idea that you also used pastels in it. What type of fixative did you use that you could apply color pencil after? The workable?
    Good luck with the competition. It's a sure winner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank Sue, I really appreciate that.

    Dianna, thank you too. Yes, I used workable fixative. Also... the Suede Mat board makes it a lot easier to add more layers after it has been sprayed. It has a lot of tooth to it so it helps a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi Gemma
    great painting. Good luck in the show!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Lene, I truly do appreciate your kind comment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful Gemma! Great job capturing the reflections. I especially like the light coloured reflections located in the lower right area - sort of like an abstract painting within the overall piece. I could look at the water forever and no I won't forget to look at the handsome mountain lion! :-) Best of luck with Explore This!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww, thanks Teresa, that is so nice of you to say. I loved the abstractness of the water with the realism of the Mt. Lion in the photo reference, that is what drew me to this photo.

    Thanks again,
    Gemma

    ReplyDelete